Wednesday 10 November 2010

Malawi: What Do You Do?

It's the most common question I get asked. And one I ask myself sometimes too. Particularly at the end of a long day.

The comedy line, according to friends in the sector, is: I'm a sex worker. I don't use this much, although I do find myself talking about sex a lot more than I ever used to.

The official line though is: I manage ten functions: family planning and general medicine clinics (31); outreach activities (300+ sites where we have mobile clinics every month); clinical quality; clinical training; procurement; warehouse; fleet; property; repair and maintenance; and security.

What this actually entails on a day to day basis is:
  • Signing things
  • Not signing things, usually allowance requests and ridiculously over-priced purchase orders
  • Listening to my boss let off steam
  • Fabricating my timesheet which says I can only work 8 hours a day
  • Feeling out of my depth
  • Wondering whether anyone has realised this
  • Adding to my To Do List
  • Writing new policies
  • Discovering yet more rooms piled high with a decade of rubbish and documents
  • Searching for fuel
  • ‘Coordinating’
  • Eating comfort food
  • Telling myself I need to stop eating comfort food
  • Providing a sounding board for my boss
  • Wondering what will be next
  • Trying to remember what I did last
  • Reminding myself what amazing work the organisation does
  • Pondering what the organisation could achieve if only we improved that, addressed this...
  • Anticipating how change could be misinterpreted
  • Sweating
  • ‘Multi-tasking’
  • Cursing the falling tree fruit which kept me awake half the night as they clattered onto the metal roof
  • Speculating whether or not the latest clinic burglary was an inside job
  • Reading the riot act to private security companies when their guards don't turn up, their alarms don't go off...
  • Wondering how concerned you should be about allegations in a newspaper that only has 20,000 circulation
  • Trying to second-guess the conspirators
  • Watching the next episode of whatever American TV series I'm watching that month
  • Telling myself I won’t resort to alcohol and cigarettes like much of the expat community
  • Sitting in traffic
  • Sitting in a cafe watching the huge red sun set over Blantyre’s hills whilst trying to catch up on work
  • Wandering around the warehouse trying to create a culture of attention to detail
  • Poking around the latest grounded vehicle of our delapidated fleet in our service bay
  • Trying to make sense of the forced ordering system
  • Reminding myself not to use the word ‘abortion’ in public
  • Fire-fighting
  • Asking questions and receiving responses which only lead to more questions
  • Reminding myself of the progress we’re making
  • Wondering what it’ll take to persuade my boss in London to let me stay a little longer so I can make more progress

And occasionally I get to stay somewhere like this whilst I'm visiting clinics:

No comments:

Post a Comment